We're sorry, to view this content you need to purchase a subscription. Click here for more information.
Reasons to attend and to not attend Grinnell College
- “The professors. They are there to help you and willing to help you. I’ve never met kinder people.”
- “The emphasis on research and study abroad.” [52% of students complete at least one independent study course and 40% of students complete a Mentored Advanced Project. More than half of students at Grinnell study abroad.]
- “The tight-knit social scene where you can be whoever you want. There isn’t the East Coast prep vibe here, it’s more of a place where you can express who you are.”
- “Excellent financial aid.” [70% of students receive need-based aid with an average grant/scholarship award of about $45,000.]
- “The students. Everybody here applied to Grinnell for a reason and everybody’s here for a reason. You won’t find students who work harder or are more passionate about subjects.”
- “The stress on post-graduation has been really helpful for me. The fact that I have a resume and LinkedIn profile that I’m really happy with is something that I really appreciate.”
To Not Attend
- “The small community definitely gets tiring and it’s hard to get away or be alone. If you talk to anybody, you definitely know somebody who knows somebody who knows them.”
- “The stress culture and the fact that it can seem cool to work so hard that you don’t take care of yourself and it’s easy to slip into that. I had to make a conscious effort not to do it. People can be competitive about who is the most stressed out or who’s working the hardest.”
- “It is geographically difficult for people to access.”
- “It’s really small. If you’re a person who likes to meet new people, you’re waiting for every incoming class to meet new personalities.”
- “As a student of color, it can be very difficult.” [26% of undergraduates are domestic students of color. About 6% are Black.]
Notice: Grinnell College is a trademark. Induck uses it for descriptive purposes, not to imply affiliation with, endorsement from, or sponsorship by Grinnell College.